Sunday, September 11, 2011

Thoughts Swirling

Starting a blog is NOT something that's been on my to-do list... Just this past week, the idea came into my head. And when I decide I want to do something, I have to do it, NOW. I constantly have thoughts swirling around in my head that I'd like to write down. Since I'm a stay-at-home-mom, most of these thoughts tend to be about parenting and the lifestyle I want to create for my family. I love to write (I think technical writing might be my dream job!), since it gives me a chance to collect the thoughts in my mind and move them out. I already keep digital mini-journals for my own sake so I figured... why not share some of what's up there (in my head) with out there (on the web)?

I want this blog to be about experiencing motherhood (parenthood) – not just getting through it, but really taking it ALL in and savoring it. All the ups and downs, all the kisses and “I love you's”, all the sleepless nights and tantrums. I want to share my experiences and thoughts, the little bits of wisdom I've managed to gather through it all, and I want to hear from you (guest blogging, anyone?). After all, support is usually the best solution I can find!

What to Expect:

1. Enjoying the Simple Things in Life
For the first time in years (ever?), I have time to sit back and just enjoy life (surely it has almost everything to do with our recent move!). I've really started to appreciate the little things day-to-day life has to offer. I want to pass this fascination on to my children, and share the idea with as many others as I can. Maybe this is common sense to some, but I feel enlightened – I didn't really understand how easy it is to make my child so happy and content! I'm pretty sure he'd rather spend an hour with me looking for bugs in the backyard than go to Disneyland (at least for now).

2. Home-Preschooling
Many of Neven's friends are starting preschool this year! I can't help but to feel some (healthy) pressure to keep up. But does he really need to go to preschool already? No doubt, he'd enjoy it, and would certainly learn a few things along with some great socialization. I never went to preschool, and I did pretty well in school. On top of that, I feel a little guilty considering it when my “job” is to stay at home with the kids. My solution? Start home-preschooling him. I've been trying to commit a block of time everyday to do some focused activity with Neven alone (which is hard some days with a teething 7 month old!) – whether its watering the flowers and talking about what plants need to grow, or making a fish mobile together. I think this might just work...

3. Challenges and Lessons Learned
As a mom, I face challenges everyday. When I'm lucky, I also learn something everyday! One of my hardest challenges is learning how to balance – taking care of my family with finding me-time (not to mention, time for my husband!), being eco-friendly with being frugal, giving my kids the structure of a schedule without becoming a victim of the schedule myself... I want to reflect on my experiences and share with others. I've found that often times, hearing “I know how you feel” is all I need!

4. Simple Sustainability
That isn't an official term and I don't know exactly what it means. What I'm getting at is that I like to minimize clutter in my life. I try to minimize what I send to the landfill. I try to re-use and buy used. I try to eat simple food with a short list of ingredients, and to make my own food when I can. I don't like to waste food. Sounds easy enough, right? Not so much when I'm sure kid clothes and toys multiply in the closets when you turn your back, and my time seems limited by taking care of my family in other ways...

So now that you know what I'm planning here... I hope to see you back!
~jen

1 comment:

  1. So so happy to find this blog! Didn't know you had started! Good for you, now I will be an avid reader!!! Love love love to you!
    love, Kiersten

    ReplyDelete